Sunday, January 23, 2011

Stress is the worst Enemy: Positive Attitude Your Best Friend


This month, I am on course to earn the least amount of money in the last 5 years. The reason is plain and simple. For the last 1 and half year, I could not work regularly. For the last few weeks, I was under a lot of stress from many things and in my agenda; money worry was in number one position.
I tried to stay positive and happy although it was very difficult to run away from tension. After all, I know that my problems were real and they visit me on a regular basis. Still, I tried my best to have a positive attitude. Yes, sometimes, I lost my heart but because of trying to be positive, I could remain happy for most of the days.
Now, I can see the good impact of this effort. First of all, I have been able to come back to full time work. Today, I woke up at 9 AM. I went to a work at PM and came back home at 5 PM. It was an impossible thing for me even just 3 months ago. After coming home, I did a long meeting with one of my assistants about the future of our company as the condition looks bleak at the moment.
We discussed for two hours and in the end, I discovered a very simple thing. The main problem is not lack of opportunities but it was stress that was killing all of us. What stress does best is that it creates a feeling of insecurity. It all the time reminds us that we are in a miserable condition. We must try to get out of the miserable condition as soon as possible. When we go for speed then naturally, the possibility of making mistakes increase drastically.
As a result, we are making many more mistakes in our work than before. So, naturally, we are moving one step forward and then going two steps backward. More than anyone, I was making the largest number of mistakes. I was making the mistakes because I was too much in a hurry and it was stress that was urging me to become even faster.
By discussing with my assistant today, I realized that our condition was not bad at all. If we can work normally then we can again get back to our best condition within 3-4 months. The magic formula is very simple- just work normally every day. 

1 comment:

  1. That is so right, Razib! Stress is awful and it is as if it puts a net over your brain and your vision and you cannot see things properly through it. If I get stressed I usually end up with tonsilitis which is not good! What I have found is that if I am feeling stressed, I sit or lie down and do deep stomach breathing. Breathe so your stomach sticks out rather than your rib cage. Breathe in for 3, hold for 3, breathe out for 3. It will calm your heart rate down but also give you a few moments to collect your thoughts and evaluate them properly without stress affecting your judgement.

    ReplyDelete

Hobby Economist