Saturday, February 21, 2009

Blogging at the Time of Global Economic Recession

I live in Bangladesh and I am a fulltime blogger. But one of the good things of living in a third world country is that the living expenses are very small compared to the western countries. So, you can be a fulltime blogger if you like it because you do not need to earn a lot of money like U.S. and Canada. I’m happy with whatever I get and I have been professionally blogging for three years. It is not that I have become rich by blogging but I have to admit that I could easily manage a middle class lifestyle and I’m not a person who is addicted to money and I do not have any high ambition like most people. That is why I’m very happy with my profession.

But now, it is the time of global economic recession and because my work is related to the global economy, I have seen decreasing income in the last few months just like everyone else. It is not that I have to be worried that much at this moment but if this kind of decrease continues then I see very bleak prospect for blogging in the year 2010 not just for me but for many other Bloggers around the world.

The ongoing global economic recession is a very tough challenge for people like me who decided to have a nontraditional career. I love to write and I have been writing for almost fifteen years in newspapers and magazines but blogging is entirely a different ballgame.

 

In the traditional kind of writing, the writer or the journalist is not concerned about the marketing of his writing. He or she does not care how many copies of the magazine will be sold or if the newspaper will become a top newspaper within a few months or few years. In fact, they are not bothered about this kind of thing at all. Their only concern is whether they can sell their writing or they can get the salary after each month. The same perhaps goes for book writers who focus on writing a book and it is the publishers who try their best to sell as many copies of the book as possible.

In blogging, you are entirely on your own. You have to write something and you have to ensure that many people Come and read your entries. Not only that, you have to also make sure that people actually talk about your entries in other web sites and Blogs. Then, you have to think of the search engines like Google. Even if you can bring all of these things, you have to run after advertisements to earn money. You have to know how to place your advertisement to get maximum amount of revenue. You have to write a comment in other people’s Blogs to let them know that you have a blog too. When you write something that is good or you feel that it has good potential to attract other people then you have to inform others by e-mail and submit them to social book marking web sites like Digg.

There is no doubt that blogging is a very time consuming and difficult profession. Of course, if you do not want to earn money by blogging then there is no problem because then it is a very good hobby. But however, for people like me who depend on blogging for their livelihood, it is really a very difficult time because of the economic recession now.

It is in the time of economic recession that I have decided to open a new blog and I am trying my best to make it successful. 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:40 AM

    I think people who want to be a blogger they should read your article. It would be very helpful for them. From your writing, it is very clear that to be a blogger is not easy. Personally I know some persons who think that blogging is a easy work. They think that they just write some articles and it is enough for a blog. They do not know that for a good blog readers are very important. For this reason, a blogger have to catch attention of the readers by writing about exclusive news. But it is very hard work. A blogger have to establish a good blog.
    Economic recession has become a big problem for the world. If it increases then it would be prove bad for the world. I hope that the whole world come out from this problem and the people like you who love to write they could enjoy their profession.

    ReplyDelete

Hobby Economist