Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Something to be happy About: Translation of a Novel


I am very happy for this work. The last time, I translated a book was in 1998 and it was Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One's Own. I did it from English to Bengali (my mother tongue). It was published in a newspaper serially. This time, I did not do the translation alone. In fact, Mehdi Hassan and Biplob Kishore Deb worked with me. We translated Datta by Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay and you can find all the chapters in this link: http://bnlit.com/novels/sharat-chandra-chattopadhyay/
We are not the first persons to translate it. I guess that this novel has been translated by several people but we are the only one who have put it in Internet and you can read it free. From the sitemeter, I noticed that some people are reading all the 26 chapters. It took nearly 2 months for us to complete the project and now, we have to inform others.
It was always my dream to translate from my literature because first of all, Bangla is one of the top 6 or 7 most widely spoken languages on earth. Secondly, it has a very rich literature. Do you know that outside of Europe, it was Bangla literature that bagged a Nobel Prize first in 1913?
I am very happy that I could at last form a team for this project. I had this dream for the last 20 years but I always knew that it was impossible for me to do it alone. So, please read the novel and let me know your idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment